For patients and their families who are looking for continued care, education and support, there are a number of resources available. The links below offer more information about mental illness and substance abuse and relevant research on behavioral health topics, as well as information on support groups. These links are for informational purposes only and do not constitute an endorsement by Sovereign Health or any of its employees for the site’s sponsors or presented products.
The following websites provide information and resources for individuals with mental disorders and their family members:
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) — a federal agency that supports clinical research trials on mental health and provides information about mental illness and related mental health topics, including the prevention and treatment of mental illnesses.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) — a nonprofit, self-help and support organization for families and friends of those with severe mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) — provides support, assistance and educational resources, along with lists of patient support groups throughout the United States, for clinicians and individuals with depression and bipolar disorder.
- Mentalhealth.gov — provides access to the U.S. government’s mental health information, including basic facts about different mental health conditions, forms of treatment and support for people affected by mental illness and substance abuse, and resources to call for immediate help.
- Mental Health America (MHA) — a community-based, nonprofit organization committed to providing support, recovery and advocacy for mental health issues.
The following websites provide alcohol and drug addiction help for families and their loved ones:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — provides research, services and information related to mental health and substance use disorders, including chronic pain treatment and chronic pain management resources for medical and mental health care providers, to improve the delivery of behavioral health care services and reduce the impact of these conditions on individuals, their families and communities throughout the U.S.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — provides information about drug use trends and statistics, emerging trend alerts, related news topics and the latest scientific research on drug abuse.
- NIDA for Teens — valuable resource for middle and high school students and their teachers who want to read facts about different types of drugs, learn more about recent research and news related to drug abuse and addiction, and watch interactive games and videos about how drugs affect the body and brain.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism (NIAAA) — supports and conducts research to enhance knowledge on alcohol-related problems, develop effective treatment and prevention strategies, and reduce the impact of alcohol abuse and dependence on communities.
- The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) — provides information about addiction, and the prevention and treatment of substance abuse. The organization also focuses on the study of substance abuse and its effect on society.